* to avoid crying, peel onions under cold water or refrigerate them before chopping.
* to perk up soggy lettuce, add lemon juice to a bowl of cold water and soak lettuce for an hour in the refrigerator.
* when cooking carrots, peas, beets, or corn, add a small amount of sugar to the water to keep flavor. To keep sweet corn yellow, add one teaspoon of lemon juice to the cooking water just about a minute before taking it off the stove. Never salt the water you cook corn in. It will only toughen the corn.
* store celery and lettuce in paper bags, not plastic. Leave the outside leaves and stalks alone until ready to use.
* place green fruits in a perforated plastic bag. The holes will allow air to circulate while retaining the ethylene gas that fruits produce during ripening.